Update History (Prior to Version 50)
(Publish Date: June 30, 2021)
Attachments on Donor Profiles
Part of the first phase of the buildout of a new feature yet to come, attachments can now be added to Donor Profiles! This is something that has long been requested, and we're happy to make it available now. The new tab will appear on the View Donor screen:
At the moment, attachments can only be added to Donor Profiles. In the future, the Attachments tab will be expanded into other areas of the system, including Donations, Payments and Tasks.
For now, we are not going to put a limit on the amount of data you can store with the attachments system. We will keep an eye on usage and may introduce a fee for storage exceeding a certain number of gigabytes in the future if the amount of data stored begins to climb quickly. If this happens, you will have at least 2 months notice.
By request, a new optional field has been added to keep track of Donor Birthdays. This is useful if you need to track a donor's age for compliance reasons (for instance, to show that a volunteer is over the age of 18) or if you simply wish to send a birthday greeting to them as part of your efforts to retain the donor. This option is turned off by default. Enable it by clicking the gear icon in the upper left of a Donor View or Edit page.
In addition to the new fields on the donor profiles, a new report has been added with special functionality on its date filter. If you use this report, it will ignore the year and return any birthdays that fall in the time frame. In other words, if you set it for June 1 to June 20, it will bring any birthdates that fall on those dates, even if the year is left blank.
- If a donor cancels their recurring gift, all those who would normally be CCed on the email receipt will receive notification of the action taken by the donor.
- Behind the scenes libraries have been updated.
- Date columns in reports will now use the display date preference setting from the options page instead of the default m/d/Y formatting.
- The filter labels on reports would very occasionally not update correctly. This has been resolved.
- When a donor cancels a recurring long-term pledge, the additional payments will now also be deleted.
(Publish Date: May 16, 2021)
We've enhanced security around the login process. Now after a certain number of failed attempts, the account will be locked, and require a password reset. Additionally, if a certain IP address makes too many invalid attempts, it will be locked out temporarily. All login attempts are now viewable on the User Manager page, if your user account has permission to edit other users.
We encourage you to review this section occasionally, and report any suspicious activity to our support team.
- When reassigning a recurring donation from one donor to another, the system will now check to see if the chosen donor profile has payment information associated with it. If not, it will prevent you from moving it. If it does, though, it will clarify that the recurring payment will begin being processed under the new, chosen donor's payment method, and require your confirmation of this fact.
- Similarly, payments that are pending (IE from a recurring Donation Form) can no longer be reassigned to a different Donation record, as this may result in the recurring payment failing when it attempts to process. The system will instead prompt you to edit the recurring payment instead to pick a different donation form so that it can be processed properly.
- You may now add Donor Type as an optional column to the Donor listing.
- The duplicate finder was not rechecking entries to see if they were corrected. Now, once a week on Sunday, it will purge previously identified duplicates and recheck everything again. This will make it so that duplicates that were fixed by updating data on a profile rather than merging them will make it so they are eventually removed from the list. Note that it will not purge any duplicates you've marked as Ignored, these will be retained so that you don't have to keep re-ignoring them.
- Libraries used in the system have been updated.
- Hitting enter on the tags popup on the Donor Add/Edit page would cause a form submission, which wasn't desired behavior. This has been stopped.
- On the donation form editor, if the option to ask the donor to cover the transaction fee was off, the form still required you to fill in a percent value. This has been fixed.
(Publish Date: March 29, 2021)
- When searching for donors, the search terms will now match records regardless of the order they appear in. For instance, searching for "joshua smith" will match a donor with the display name of "Joshua Smith" or "Smith, Joshua".
- As shown below, you may now customize the header before the form fields, and each of the labels for each form field. You may also choose to make certain fields (such as phone number or most of the other optional fields) required.
You may now use up to 3 tags on your form as "checkbox" style questions. In the form editor, select the tag in the system, type a question, and the donor will check the box if they agree. For example, you could have a tag "Interested in Planned Giving". Choose this tag and set the label on the form to be "I am interested in learning more about planned giving". If the user checks the box, that tag will be added to their profile.
If, after some time, you need to phase out a donation form (for example, if you're ending a campaign), you can now reassign recurring gifts to a different form, allowing for you to keep the recurring gift going but attaching it to a new campaign. For more information, please refer to this help article.
- All of the behind-the-scenes libraries have been updated.
- Undoing bulk actions that targeted less than 1000 donors will now execute much more quickly.
- Spreadsheets generated by reports would fail to auto-resize the columns if there were more than 26 columns. Columns will now be resized properly no matter how many columns the report contains.
(Publish Date: March 1, 2020)
Our main informational and marketing website, donorwrangler.com, has been refreshed. Take a look and let us know what you think!
- Some text throughout the system was revised to make it match our current policies and terminology.
- New statistic columns and filters have been added for:
- Lifetime Payment Count
- Average Payment Amount
- YTD Payments
- Total Payments 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 Years Ago
- Organization that have large amounts of records should see their reports now generate faster, as we've made the rules that shuffle the generation process that use the behind the scenes process less aggressive.
- An issue with marketing emails not being created properly was fixed. (February 12, 2021)
- An issue with new installations missing a few files has been resolved. (February 17, 2021)
- When editing a donor's payment information, the prior payment info (brand, last 4, and expiration) was not being displayed. This has been fixed.
(Publish Date: January 18, 2021)
- Rather than running every time you load the page, the duplicate finder now runs itself once a day and saves the data so that the page can load faster.
- The page will now tell you when the duplicate was identified so that the newest possibilities are at the top of the screen.
- You can now ignore duplicates that are false (or that you need to keep separate).
- Behind the scenes libraries have all been updated.
- You can now choose how you wish for the date and time to be displayed in the system, and how the date will be displayed in letters. Note that if you change the format of the date for letters, you'll have to update your templates for the new format to be used.
- A number of adjustments have been made to how Excel files are generated that should hopefully make them easier to use. Among the changes:
- When you print, headers and footers have been added.
- The header contains: Organization Name - Report Name - Saved Report Name (If applicable)
- The footer contains: Page X of Y - Generated on (Date and time the report was made)
- The first row that contains the column names will now be bold and have a line beneath it.
- When you print, if the document contains multiple pages, these column names will repeat at the top of each printed page.
- Columns that contain dates should now be recognized as dates, and will therefore sort correctly.
- Columns that contain dollar amounts should now be formatted properly.
- Columns that have a total when viewed online (IE dollar amounts or the number of hours volunteered) will be included in the Excel file at the bottom of that column in bold.
- Columns that contain text will now wrap if there is a line break in the text.
- When you print, headers and footers have been added.
- Behind the scenes adjustments were made to how reports are generated. Reports that exceed 5,000 records will now be generated, not on the spot, but by a behind the scenes process. These will take slightly longer to generate, but it will be a smoother experience.
- On emails built with the new visual editor, the marketing disclaimer was being applied in some instances when it should have been the relationship disclaimer instead.
(Publish Date: December 14, 2020)
This is a small maintenance and bug fix update, mostly centered on Marketing Email features.
- When a donation would fail, a "Try Again" button would appear. However, when a donation succeeded, a "Donate Again" button appeared. This was causing some confusion and resulting in some donors giving twice unintentionally. Thus, the Donate Again button has been removed. (Dec 3, 2020)
- On long term pledge donation forms, an option to give one lump sum has been added.
- On the Bulk Actions page, there is now a "Results" button that will appear showing you which email addresses were used and which were skipped when creating a draft email to a number of donors. This should help clarify why some donors were not included.
- On both reports (in the Bulk Action popup for the Add Draft Email) and the emails page (the Add Draft Email button) the list of available email templates will now include the email type and subtypes so you know which lists are intended to receive that email.
- When copying/pasting email addresses from Outlook, the emails will be separated by a semi-colon instead of a comma. The system will now correct this upon submission.
- Previously, when drafting emails, if a new list was created and a donor wasn't subscribed to that list, the system would fall back onto their general marketing email preference when deciding whether or not to draft an email for them. The system will now consistently skip donors who don't have not explicitly been added to an email list.
- The classic email editor wasn't loading on older templates in some cases (Dec 3, 2020)
- The date picker on the Task Edit page was popping up above the field and being cut off.
- The email address search field on the sent/unsent emails tab on the emails page was not being included in the search. This has been fixed.
(Publish Date: December 2, 2020)
As we announced with the Version 41 update, Constant Contact synchronization has been removed as of this version.
Visual Editor for Building Emails: A new solution to make designing and building emails easier has been implemented:
This visual editor lets you easily add text, pictures, and buttons to your email, and divide the layout into multiple columns:
When editing text areas, you'll have the same merge fields you're used to using:
Finally, the emails are responsive and will adjust to fit the size of the screen. The preview mode will let you look at it as a desktop user or as a mobile user:
Whether or not you have marketing emails enabled, you will be able to make use of this feature to send relationship emails, such as receipt attachments. For now, this feature is only available for building emails. We are, however, investigating whether this feature could also be used for the letter generator, or in other places. Stay tuned for further updates!
Duplicate Finder: We've had this idea on our wishlist for a while, now, and in response to recent user feedback, we've created a new Duplicate Finder tool. This tool will search for donors whose name (first/last combo), email, or phone numbers are duplicated on more than one donor profile. The option is available to any user who can access reports, and the menu option will appear when you access the reports screen.
Allow Donors to Cover Transaction Fees on Donation Forms: A new choice has been added to donation forms to allow you to ask donors to cover the card processing transaction fees. When editing the form, this appears under the User Facing Form Fields header:
Because each organization has their own processing rate depending on whether or not they receive the non-profit discount from Stripe, you can set your own percentage here. If you are not receiving the non-profit discount from Stripe, the rate will generally be 3.9. The donor will then be presented this choice when they enter their donation amount:
We recommend you set your percentage and then try making the donation in test mode to verify that the fee calculated is correct. ( Note: Due to rounding, the fee calculated may occasionally be off by $0.01.)
- [By Request] Payment Type can now be part of a Donation Preset.
- The mobile menu has been improved to make sure users on phones and tablets can find all menu options.
- We've improved the filter multi-select buttons so that they will not become too large when many items are selected. In addition, once the page is reloaded, it will show you what is already selected instead of the default "Select _____" label. It will now only say "Select _____" when nothing is selected.
- A better time picker has been implemented for use in creating volunteer time slots.
(Publish Date: November 16, 2020)
Ticket/Product Sales on Donation Forms: Something that has been requested by several users is now available! This functionality allows for you to define your products, their cost, limit how many a donor can buy at a time, and define a set inventory. On the Donation Form builder, choose the new Product/Ticket Sales mode:
Once your options are set, donors will be able to choose a quantity for each desired item:
Before the donor's card is charged, the system verifies that stock is still available, in case someone else beats them to the punch. Then the card is processed, and the selection is stored in the Notes section of the Donation, like so:
You can thus use this column in reports, as well as the confirmation email sent to the donor via the Merge Fields. We hope this new feature proves beneficial to many of you!
- Donor lookup and matching has been improved to make it more accurate and reduce instances where donors may be improperly matched in the system. If the match is not sure, the system will instead create a new profile, flag it as a potential duplicate, and tell you why on the profile (see screenshot below). You can then merge the profile if needed into the correct donor record, or update it to remove the "POSSIBLE DUPLICATE" text. Reasons the system will make this duplicate are:
- Donor provided address matches (or nearly matches) multiple donor records in the system.
- Donor provided email address matches a donor record in the system, but the address provided does not.
- Donor provided address matches (or nearly matches) a donor record in the system, but the email provided does not.
- Donor provided email address of XXXXX matches multiple donor records in the system.
- Throughout the system, the term "Bi-Monthly" has been changed to "Every Other Month", which should be clearer to users.
- The way we generate XLS files has been updated, and will allow us to generate more attractive reports in the future.
- When you are adding volunteer time directly to a donor profile, you will no longer be required to provide an email address for cases where the donor doesn't have one.
- You can now reassign volunteer time slots from one donor profile to another, in the event that it was added incorrectly to the wrong profile.
- Some columns were not being included in search results on tables throughout the system. (October 24, 2020)
(Publish Date: October 19, 2020)
Marketing emails are now available to all users. You may now enable marketing emails on your installation if you wish to take advantage of this new feature.
- A new way to Add Draft Emails can now be found on the Emails page, allowing you to more easily draft an email template to donors who have been added to email lists.
- When bulk adding draft emails to donors (via reports or the above option) the system will now verify that the donor is able to receive that type of email before adding the draft. If, for example, a donor has opted out or the email has been flagged as invalid, no draft will be created. This will reduce the number of failed sends that you have to deal with later.
- The logic behind undoing edited data points via the change log has been improved.
- Libraries that power the system have been updated.
- Many small tweaks to the user interface have been made to make things a little more clear, to hide things when they don't need to be displayed, or to make things display better on mobile.
- In some cases, template text wasn't being filled in properly. This has been fixed.
- Report totals would sometimes spit out some really long decimal values that made no sense. This has been fixed.
(Publish Date: September 22, 2020)
Announcement of Feature Removal:
After December 1, 2020, we will be removing the ability for Donor Wrangler to synchronize with Constant Contact. This is due to two main reasons: (1) Constant Contact has not updated their PHP SDK (that is, the toolkit that lets us communicate with them) since March of 2016, and it is thus very out of date. We do not wish to develop our own custom toolkit to accomplish this purpose, and the lack of updates is a clear indicator that third party integration is not a priority for them. (2) With our own marketing email system rolling out, we're providing the same service for a very similar price, so rather than spend time maintaining two systems, it makes more sense to focus on just one. As of this update, you will not be able to create a new connection to Constant Contact. Existing connections will be maintained until at least December 1, 2020.
While the number of customers currently using this integration is small, we know this may be an inconvenience. Removing a feature is not something we take lightly. However, it is important for us to keep our core product strong and secure, and this decision enables us to do so. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- We've made some adjustments with our email sending service so that emails will be sent and delivered more reliably, spam bounces should be way down.
- After some feedback and experience from our test group of marketing email users, we've change email template functionality so that you must test send every email template to yourself before you can send it to your donors. This will help ensure that formatting, links, and content is correct. Once you've created a new template (or edited the text of an existing one) a button will appear that lets you test send the email to yourself. After this step is completed, you will be able to send it to your donors.
- To make things easier for testing, the email signup page will now allow admin users to access it and submit their email address without forcing them to log out.
- When bulk adding emails from the reports screen, the system will now prevent draft emails from being made for a single email address more than once, in the event that the same email address exists on multiple profiles.
- The system will now better differentiate between "hard" and "soft" bounces. If an email address was previously a soft bounce (IE the email was blocked for a temporary reason) the system will now try sending again. If it was a hard bounce (IE the email address doesn't exist or has been disabled) it will not try sending again.
- When you're viewing a sent email, if the email bounced or was dropped, the system will now show you the reason that it bounced or was dropped. Note that if the message is that your message was blocked because of suspected spam, you do not have to request to be delisted from the spam protection service as the message suggests. You should instead contact us and we will take care of it for you, if needed.
- The email log will begin tracking the "CC" email address(es) for all emails sent from this point forward. It will also begin tracking email events for any of the CC addresses. Note, however, that the "Delivered" and "Opened" status will only be set for the primary "To" email address, since that's the primary target of the email. You will still be able to see if the CC email received or opened the email by clicking the View button in the Sent Email Log.
- When composing a blank email directly to a donor, or creating a new email template, you will now have to explicitly choose which type of email (IE Marketing or Relationship) you are composing. This will help prevent emails from being improperly labeled as Relationship emails when they're really Marketing emails.
- After more fighting with Google Chrome, more autocomplete fields are now disabled to prevent it from harassing you literally everywhere you go. Some are still stubbornly refusing to turn off. Our apologies.
- "Sticky tabs" have been enabled by default on the system. For instance, when you're on the Letters page, click the Templates tab, and edit a template, when you are returned to the Letters page the Templates tab will be activated. If you wish to turn these off, click the Preferences icon in the upper left of the homepage, and you'll find the option as shown below:
- The button to add a link to a letter or email was missing on a few editors. It's been added back in. This made the toolbar slightly too long, so the Merge Fields and Insert Image buttons have been bumped down to the next row on the toolbar, if applicable.
- When viewing a volunteer event page, if your account has permission to send emails through the system, the email link will now direct you to the Compose Email page. If you don't have permission, it will pop open your email program (IE Outlook) as it previously did.
- [By Request] When a volunteer logs their time, the description of the volunteer role will appear below the dropdown to make sure the donor selects the right choice.
- The email address filter on the Emails page would refresh the page rather than just refreshing the table with data below if you hit enter. This has been fixed.
- Blank list items will now always show as [Blank] on the list editor.
- You can now properly undo bulk actions for draft email creation and addition/removal from email lists.
- The list editor wasn't letting you edit existing list items in certain cases. This has now been fixed.
(Publish Date: August 23, 2020)
System Health on Homepage: A new "System Health" section has been added to the homepage. This will alert you to potential problems that you should address:
More items will likely be added as time goes on, and any suggestions would be welcome!
- [By Request] You can now choose which status of donors will be included in the Total Donors count on the homepage. So, for example, you can have the system only count Active donors. Find this option by clicking the Customize Preferences button on the homepage:
- You can now enable an optional Country field for Donor addresses. This is turned off by default, but may be turned on by clicking the Customize Preferences button on the Donor View/Edit screens.
- Failed emails can now be Archived instead of just deleted. This will remove them from the Unsent emails area, and put them into the donor's profile under the Sent tab with a status of "Archived" and an explanation of what the original problem was.
- Further validation catches have been added so that email addresses with spaces added at the beginning/end of them will not cause the system to throw an error and prevent the sending of an email.
- The time selectors have been adjusted and made bigger so they don't get cut off on some screens.
- Some behind-the-scenes improvements were made that should help speed up reports.
- Third party libraries have been updated to their latest versions.
- [By Request] The gift date, gift amount, payment actual date, and payment actual amount fields have been added to the Generate Mailing Label CSV/XLS function. This will help you more easily cross reference generated letters with a giving report to ensure that you aren't missing anyone.
- A new report for Failed Payments has been added. This will let you quickly identify any recurring payments that have failed to process.
- [By Request] A new filter is available for "Donation (or Payment) Campaign IS NOT" to let you exclude specific campaigns.
- [By Request] A new filter is available for "Donor Has Address" so you can make sure a donor has a mailing address when generating a mailing list.
- A new Bulk Action is available, Set Donor Status. This will be most useful if you're wanting to mark as "Inactive" anyone who hasn't given within, say, the last 5 years.
- A change log is now visible on Task View.
- The list editor wouldn't let you add a duplicate list item, but it would allow you to rename a list item to be the same as another. This has been resolved.
- When using the report builder, the intent is that each logged in user has their own autosave of the report, meaning that if one user builds a report, a second user can build a different report from the same base report without affecting the first user's report. At some point along the way, this function broke. The functionality has been restored so that different users reports are separated.
- Occasionally, reminder emails would get queued to be delivered to volunteers when they shouldn't. They never successfully sent, but they were still put into the queue. This will no longer happen.
(Publish Date: May 17, 2020)
Marketing Emails Have Arrived! It has been in the works for some time now, and many of you have been asking when the marketing email features of Donor Wrangler would be completed. Well, with this new update, the features are now done! There are a lot of changes to functionality that are part of this. We will include a brief summary below, but will also recommend that you read each of the following help articles for further information:
- Marketing Emails - Your Legal Responsibilities
- Marketing Emails - How to Enable or Disable
- Marketing Emails - Creating Email Lists
- Marketing Emails - Creating Your First Newsletter
- Marketing Emails - Creating a Signup Form for Your Website
IMPORTANT: Marketing emails are not available to every installation at this time so we can make sure the functionality is as easy to use as possible. If you wish to be able to participate in the trial period, please contact us.
Here's a summary of all of the changes:
Create and Define Email Template Types: Because we give our donors the power of choice to opt in/out of whatever communications we send, we want to be able to define what type of emails we're sending to them. Now when creating an email template, you will be able to choose if the email is a Relationship or Marketing email, and then choose a subsequent subtype. For instance, a donor may have changed their communication preferences to allow for receipts and volunteer information, but has chosen to opt out of reminders. By defining the type of email because you send it, you can make sure you're respecting their wishes.
Similarly, you can also set your "type" on letter templates, so that when you email them, the correct email subtype will automatically be filled in.
Send Letters as Normal Emails: Until this point, when sending out letters as emails, they always had to be attached as a PDF to the email message. This is no longer required. You now have a choice to send it as an attachment, or to send it directly as an email:
Because the formatting of an email can differ from a letter, we recommend you try sending the email to yourself first so you can see what it looks like before sending it to the donor.
Create Emails to Donors, Including Blank Emails: You can now choose to create an email directly on a donor's profile, using either a template or composing a blank email to them.
Clearer Communication Preferences: When a donor clicks the "You can unsubscribe or manage communication preferences here" link, the page will now show them the exact type of email they received so they can make an informed decision about any opt in/out changes they may wish to make.
Email Signup Form: A new signup form has been created that you can link to from your website, allowing donors to sign up for your email lists.
Add Donors to Your Email Lists: When editing a donor's profile, you can add each of their email addresses to your marketing email lists. If the donor has altered their communication preferences to remove themselves from certain lists, however, you will not be able to opt them back into that list.
Exclude Certain Donors from Marketing Emails: If you wish to have record of certain donor email addresses, but don't want to include all of them in your marketing communications, you can now select to specifically exclude donor emails from marketing efforts. For example, you may have one email each for a husband and wife, and also have the wife's work email. You could choose to exclude the wife's work email from marketing communications so she doesn't receive your newsletter twice.
New Bulk Actions on Reports: To let you more easily add donors to new lists (or remove them), new bulk actions have been added to help you with this. You can also use this function to create a draft email of a particular template for a group of donors.
New Filters and Scheduling Tools for Emails: Once you've used your bulk action to create a new draft email, you need the ability to schedule all of those emails to be sent. Now on the emails page, you'll find new filters that let you sort for the emails you want to alter. You can then choose to schedule them all to be sent on the date/time of your choosing. If you make a mistake, you also have the ability to cancel the sending of all queued emails.
Improvements and Bug Fixes:
- [Bug Fix] When viewing the main donor list, clicking the Add Donation submenu item next to the view button began popping up a donor search box instead of taking you to Add Donation. This has been fixed.
- Email templates have a new "Name Placeholder" field. This required field is used in the event that you go to send a newsletter and you don't have names for every contact on your email list.
- [Bug Fix] Email templates can now be deleted.
- [Bug Fix] Emails scheduled for midnight would be sent at noon instead. This is now resolved.
- [Bug Fix] If an invalid email address is used, it will no longer cause email sending to crash. The invalid email will simply be ignored.
- Change logging has been tightened up in some areas, removing the capture of redundant information (for instance, the logging of the creation of and then deleting of an email when a donor donates through a donation form was unnecessary and will no longer be shown).
- All libraries powering the system have been updated to their latest versions.
- A new merge field, "First Names Combined" is available. This will automatically combine the First Name and First Name 2 fields. If one or the other is blank, it will return only the populated one. This will be most useful for Donation Forms and Marketing Emails, though you may also use it in emails.
- When viewing a letter list (whether on a donor's profile or otherwise), the date sent will now be included in the column indicating the letter's sent/unsent status.
- [Bug Fix] When editing letter templates and page layouts, images that were inserted into tables were not aligning themselves to the top of the table as they should.
(Publish Date: April 5, 2020)
Improvements and Bug Fixes:
- The change log will now show you the following deleted data on associated donor profiles: donations, emails, letters, interactions, and tasks. Further, when viewing donations, deleted payments will also be shown.
- You can now restore deleted data from the change log.
- The order of elements on the Donor View and Donor Edit pages have been reordered so they match each other.
- Donor Since Date is now available on Donor Presets, useful for when you need to add new donors that all attended an event on the same day.
- Once again, we've modified the form to attempt to stop autocomplete from suggesting previously entered names and addresses when you're adding/editing donors. The rules for disabling autocomplete keep changing, and we keep changing them to try to keep up. We'll see how long this round lasts!
- You can now start the merge donor process when viewing a donor's profile. The option is found in the submenu next to the Edit Donor button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- The merge donors screen now contains tags, recognition name, and volunteer information.
- In some places, donation dollar amounts were not being formatted for display properly (IE as money with commas and periods). They should now display consistently across the board.
- Donation Date is now available on Donation Presets, useful for when you need to add donations all received from an event on the same day.
- When entering donations with payments that will be paid at a later date, if the number of payments is 1, the payment frequency box will be hidden since it's not relevant.
- When viewing a donation, you can now reassign it to another donor by selecting "Reassign" from the submenu next to the Edit Donation button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- When viewing the Donations overview screen, the Add Donation button in the upper right will now pop open a list of donors so you can add a donation without having to go to the Donors screen first.
- When editing a donation, the system will now no longer let you change the gift amount. You should instead add, edit, or delete the associated payments. This will help ensure your data is consistent and correct.
- When you specify Donation Amount Labels, the selected option will be added to the Notes field of the donation when it's entered into the database.
- [Bug Fix] Donation amount dropdowns will now allow you to have duplicate values. (So if you wanted to do $10 - Ticket $10 - T-Shirt you can now do so.)
- [Bug Fix] When a donor's initial donation through donation forms fails, the system was logging the actual amount received as if the payment went through. This has been changed so that if the payment fails, the actual amount received will be set to $0.00. The expected amount will be set to the amount they intended to give.
- When adding list items, the system will now detect duplicate entries (usually because you're trying to add in a list item that exists but is hidden) and prevent you from adding the duplicated item.
- [Bug Fix] When editing anything that has a hidden list item as its value, the hidden item wasn't showing up in the dropdown, which would result in the item being reassigned to a new value. This has now been resolved.
- Links can now be added to page layouts and letter templates.
- Footer text will no longer be forcibly italicized.
- The letter list will now link the name of the letter recipient to their profile.
- New calculated fields have been added to letters, the "This Donation" options being most useful for when you're creating receipts for a recurring donation. The fields are:
- Current Year Payments (This Donation)
- Payments Received (All Time)
- Payments Received (This Donation)
- Prior Year Payments (This Donation)
- [Bug Fix] The Page Layout name was missing when looking at Letters on the Donation and Payment views. It has been brought back.
- When viewing a payment, you can now reassign it to another donation by selecting "Reassign" from the submenu next to the Edit Payment button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- [Bug Fix] When editing payments, donor giving stats weren't being recalculated immediately as they should have been. This is now fixed.
- [Bug Fix] When editing pledge payments and trying to blank out the Actual Date, the system wouldn't let you. This has been resolved.
- Filters have been added for Timeframe Donation Count Greater Than and Timeframe Donation Count Less Than.
- When viewing the task list on a donor, donation, or payment, you can now go directly to the Edit screen or Delete the task if you have permission to do so.
- When creating a new task you can now look up the donor directly on the Add Task screen to connect the task to.
- Tasks now have the visual editor so you can format the notes nicely.
- [Bug Fix] The delete task button was showing up when creating new tasks. It will now hide until needed as it should.
- [Bug Fix] Task completion notes were not editable. This has been resolved.
(Publish Date: February 10, 2020)
A quick interim update has been released to resolve a few bugs and make a few improvements that we didn't want to wait to push out.
- Some statistics shown on a donor's profile were still being calculated when the page loaded rather than using the pre-calculated donor stats. This has been changed.
- In the list editor, items were showing up when the relevant option was turned off. For example, if you had Donor Assigned To turned off, the list would still be present. This has been changed so that lists will be hidden if they're not in use.
- We've improved the speed of the "Donor List by Most Recent Donation Date" and "Donor List by Most Recent Payment Date" reports by making them utilize the pre-calculated donor stats rather than calculating the data on the fly.
- Phone numbers will now be formatted properly when you run a report.
- On some newer installations, you couldn't add tags. This has been resolved. (February 2, 2020, v37.1)
- The unsent email list was showing the incorrect name, as it was pulling the name from the sent emails instead of unsent. This was fixed. (February 2, 2020, v37.1)
- In some cases, donors who were added from donation forms were being excluded from reports. This has been fixed. (February 10, 2020)
- An error message was erroneously showing at the bottom of the letter version editor. This has been resolved. (February 10, 2020)
(Publish Date: January 29, 2020)
Improvements and Changes:
- When entering gifts for a donor whose profile indicates that their gifts can be matched, a new flag will appear during the donation entry process to remind you:
- The Donation Acknowledged To feature, which was originally only intended for memoriam/honorarium connections, has been expanded to allow you to specify the type of connection for the gift in case it wasn't an honorarium. This dropdown is editable under the Options page. Relevant filters and columns have also been added for reports. (Reminder: This feature is optional, but you can enable it by clicking the gear icon in the upper left of either the Donor View screen or the Donation Add/Edit/View screens.)
- A field for Payment Processing Fee has been made generally available. This field has existed, but was only being filled in when a donation was made through the Donation Forms system. You can now use it when entering any donation/payment.
- The field previously named "Accepts Match" has been renamed to "Donor Gifts Can Be Matched?" to make it more clear what the field is intended for.
- The donor Display Name field is now required so you cannot leave it blank.
- When viewing the sent/unsent email log on the emails page, the donor's display name will now appear above the email address. You can click the name to go to the donor's profile.
- When sending an email with a letter attachment, the system will now prompt you with a reminder to review the letter's contents before sending it.
- Letter template and page layout names are now required so you cannot leave it blank.
- The letter layout name will now display on the letters list on a donor's profile or in the letters section.
- Unused page layouts can now be deleted. Users who have permission to delete letter templates will also be able to delete page layouts.
- In the event that letter generation fails because of a formatting error, the system will now provide you with a more useful error message and some suggestions on how to fix the formatting.
- Two font choices have been added to the letter editor: Dejavu Sans Serif and Devaju Serif. These are very similar to Arial and Times New Roman, but they have support for more international characters outside of the English language.
- You can now export directly to XLS for mailing labels in addition to CSV. This will make it easier to integrate with Mail Merge in Word and will provide more consistent results with non-English language characters since Excel struggles opening CSV files containing these characters.
- A new filter has been added to determine if the donor's profile indicates that they accept matching gifts.
- You can now edit previously entered volunteer hours when viewing a donor's profile. Note that this only applies to general logged time. If you need to edit hours connected with a particular event, you need to go to that event's page and edit the time slot there.
- When adding an additional payment to a donation, Stripe payment processing status information was showing up when it shouldn't have. This has been resolved.
- The time picker on the Volunteer Event Slot editor was broken, and has been restored.
(Publish Date: December 22, 2019)
Improvements and Changes:
- When viewing a donor, you can now have the Donor ID displayed at the top of the page. This optional view setting can be found by clicking the gear icon at the top left corner when viewing any donor.
- You can now select and make use of additional templates when you are emailing receipt letters to donors.
- Many behind-the-scenes code changes have been made to comply with API changes.
- Libraries used behind the scenes to support the operation of the system have been updated.
- A hidden restriction on the Payments Received report that required payments to be greater than $0.00 has been removed. After other changes to reports that have been made over the years, this restriction is no longer necessary.
- We've reviewed all donor data points and ensured that all donor data can be included as columns on reports, including optional fields like Personal Information and Social Media.
- Reports and report columns/filters that don't apply (IE because you have membership turned off or the volunteer portal is not enabled) will now be hidden appropriately.
- When logging volunteer hours, users will be required to fill in all fields.
- Resolved an issue where, in some cases, users couldn't edit accounts at the same access level as themselves, even if they had the correct permissions and ability to do so.
- The appearance of the custom date range entry area on reports was slightly broken, but it has been restored to its natural beauty.
(Publish Date: November 19, 2019)
Improvements and Changes:
- If a payment has been deleted (whether by you or the donor themselves), and the donor goes to edit the payment, the error message will now provide them clarity that the pending payment has already been deleted.
- You can now add BCC email addresses to Donation Form thank you emails.
- Some behind the scenes changes have been made to make it easier to style your donation forms differently. If you wish to take advantage of these features, be sure to reach out to us!
- Pending emails are now shown by default on a donor's profile, if there are any pending emails waiting to be sent. This will help draw your attention to situations where a donor is not receiving an email because of a block placed by the donor's profile or by the donor themselves.
- Resizing individual table cells has been disabled. This will prevent you from accidentally resizing the pre-set column layouts and breaking their functionality.
- Image titles and descriptions will now appear. The title will appear above the image. The description will appear when your mouse hovers over the image.
- The page layout editor has been reorganized slightly and will now hide the footer section if the footer is not enabled.
- Columns and filters for Donor Anonymous have been added.
- Filters for Donor Volunteer Skills Include Any/All/None and Donor Volunteer Interests Include Any/All/None have been added.
- Improvements to the appearance and functionality of the filter drop downs have been made, making it easier to see at a glance which filters are being applied.
- When logging volunteer hours, the date box will pre-fill with the current date.
- Director accounts can now more easily update payment method information on the My Account page.
- On the homepage, if a donor's display name is blank, (Blank) will appear so that you can click on the link to view the profile in question.
(Publish Date: August 18, 2019)
Font Face and Color Choices on Letters, Emails, Volunteer Signups, Donation Forms
For some time now, we have received requests for more variability in text formatting for letters. After some investigating into the limitations, we're happy to provide you with several options for fonts that you can begin using immediately wherever you have editable text within the system:
Due to the way the system generates letters, you cannot have an unlimited set of fonts, nor can you use all of the same fonts you're used to in Word. However, you now at least have a choice of something other than Helvetica, which is the default font the letter system uses.
You can now also change the font color, which is accessible via the "Format" dropdown.
We recommend using these options sparingly. While it can be good for emphasis and headers, having entire letters or donation forms be in a color other than black can be an accessibility issue for those with vision problems.
Long Term Pledges for Donation Forms
By request, we've added a new functionality for Donation Forms: Long Term Pledges. Normally, a donor can sign up for an ongoing, recurring gift on a schedule that continues indefinitely. However, in many fundraising campaigns, donors are asked to pledge a set amount over a number of years. For instance, a donor may pledge to give $5,000 over 5 years.
Using the new long term pledge functionality on the Donation Form Editor, you can allow a donor to choose their pledge level, amount, and duration.
Once you've configured this, the donor will be presented with the pledge options, choose their schedule, and make their first payment on the schedule of their choosing. Subsequent payments will be made automatically with the same card.
We hope this new functionality will help you to successfully run campaigns and capture long-term pledge payments without the paperwork and run-around typically associated with collecting them.
Improvements and Changes:
- We've updated all of the libraries that are used to power the system to ensure that bug fixes and improvements made by the creators of these 3rd party utilities are in place.
- A new bulk edit feature has been added, Bulk Edit Quickbooks ID. Click here for an article that explains its potential use.
- Required fields have been added to the Volunteer Event editor.
- The field for Quickbooks ID number disappeared when editing an existing payment. This has been fixed.
- In some cases, you could put an email into the system which had a blank "from" email address. This caused the email system to lock and fail to send any additional emails. Improved error catching has been added to stop this from happening again.
- Some donor stats were not being correctly calculated. This has been resolved.
- When a donor edits an upcoming payment, they will no longer be able to change their payment date to a date in the past.
(Publish Date: July 14, 2019)
Donation "Acknowledged To" Field: A new functionality has been added that allows you to tie a donation made by Donor X in honor of Donor Y to Donor Y's profile. (This feature was added via a customization request from one of our customers. If you have a customization request, get in touch!) It is most useful for situations where you may receive a large number of memorial gifts and wish to have them all be linked to the donor whose relative (or perhaps they themselves) were the reason for the gifts being made. For more information about this feature and how to use it, visit this article: Donation "Acknowledged To" Field.
Improvements and Changes:
- In order to make it easier for you to identify erroneously entered pledge information, the Expected Amount and Actual Amount will now be shown in the payment list when viewing a donation. This will help you see where the amounts differ so you can correct them and make the pledged amount versus amount received totals line up.
- Reports now feature the ability to filter by a particular donor ID for donor information, donations, volunteer hours, and interactions. This will let you dump a particular donor's information as needed. (See this article for more information: Dumping Available Donor Data)
- A new filter has been added for Volunteer Slot Email Address.
(Publish Date: June 23, 2019)
In this update, the number of front-facing changes is small, but there were a lot of behind-the-scenes changes that were necessary to power the improvements. With the big changes to donor statistics, we're now able to add further statistics (including custom ones) more easily. Contact us with specific ideas or requests!
Improvements and Changes:
- Donor profiles now feature 4 new fields for organizations to store additional volunteer related data. These fields are:
- Emergency Contact
- Special Needs or Concerns
- These fields can now also be found as new column options on reports.
- We've done some rewrites to how our reports work, allowing for donor statistics (such as lifetime gift count, average gift amount, first gift date, etc.) to be pre-calculated rather than calculated on the fly. The end result is that reports should generally be much faster. In our tests, a report that previously took 12 seconds to generate (roughly 4,500 donors) now takes 1.5 seconds.
- New statistics have been added: Donor Total Giving 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 Years Ago. This is most useful when you're trying to create a report showing a donor's total giving amounts year-by-year. These are available both as columns and filters.
- New filters have been added for previously added columns:
- Donor Total Volunteer Hours Less/Greater Than
- Donor YTD Giving Less/Greater Than
- Donor First Gift Amount Less/Greater Than
- Donor Largest Gift Amount Less/Greater Than
(Publish Date: June 16, 2019)
Improvements and Changes:
- You can now customize the number of Recent Payments and New Donors that show on the dashboard when you first login. Use the User Preferences (the small button with the picture of the gear in the top left corner of the homepage) to set your preferred number of payments/donors to display.
- The main donor list will now default to sorting alphabetically by the donor's display name. (This was intended behavior that got lost at some point along the way, we've restored it so it works as intended again.)
- The main donor list is now "sticky", meaning that it will remember what page you were on, how you've sorted the list, search terms, etc.
- In connection with the table being sticky, there is now a reset button that will remove the saved settings.
- By request, there is now a new individual user preference for the Donor table called "Scroll to Top of Page When Page Numbers Are Clicked". This will make it so when you click a page number, the page will go back to the top of the screen so you can resume reading with the next sequential entry without scrolling back up manually. This setting is found by clicking the gear icon in the upper left hand side of the Donors screen. It defaults to being off.
- By request, there is now a column for Donor Status that can be turned on for the main donor list.
- We have added some additional information that will display on a payment list to help indicate the current status of an automatic payment. If the payment has failed, for instance, that information will now display on the Actual Date column. Similarly, if the payment is still pending, that will also be reflected, as shown:
- In addition, from this point forward, you will be able to reschedule failed payments. To do this, edit the failed payment, and you will find a new section labeled Automatic Payment Information. This section will indicate the current payment status (if applicable) and allow you to reschedule the payment if it has failed:
- You can now edit a donor's credit/debit card directly within Donor Wrangler. This option will be shown in a dropdown menu next to the Edit Donor button when viewing a donor's profile. Note that this will only appear if the donor has previously donated via a Donor Wrangler donation form.
- Once on the page, you will be able to take the new card details from the donor, whether it be in person or over the phone. Never ask a donor to email you credit card information!
- Simply complete the form, and the new card information will be stored within your Stripe account for this donor. Recurring donations after this point will be processed against this new card instead of the previous card on file.
- Now that we've added these improvements, we've clarified the payment failure messages that you receive to give new directions on how to handle things.
- When running a report that contains the "Volunteer Slot Hours Worked" column, it will now total at the bottom in the same way that currency columns do.
- New columns have been added for "Donor Most Recent Volunteer Date" and "Donor Total Volunteer Hours".
- Volunteer Reports as a category now appears on the main reports listing, so you no longer have to go to the Volunteers page to access this report.
- You can now see all user accounts in the user list, even if they are accounts that you don't have the authority to edit. This will clear up any confusion regarding the user limit.
Support and Account:
- We've begun publishing more documentation and general best-practice articles in our support system. You can now find a link to the knowledge base on the Support page.
- If there were no existing tags in the system and you went to create your first tag as part of a Bulk Add action on a report, it would fail to work. This has been fixed.
- The "Donor Lifetime Donation Count" column was incorrectly defined, and would throw errors when used in a report. This has now been fixed.
- Emails sent by the system were not having their Reply To address set properly in some cases. It will now work as expected.
(Publish Date: June 2, 2019)
This is a quick maintenance update that fixes a few bugs reported by our users and increases the security of donation forms. Changes include:
- You will no longer receive an email notifying you of a new task when you assign the task to yourself. (A future update will provide the option to receive reminders before the due date.)
- Donation forms now feature a CAPTCHA test to prevent robots using the form to test stolen credit cards.
- Fixed a bug where adding tags to new donors did not work.
- Fixed a bug where donor tag filters would not populate on donation or payment reports.
(Publish Date: May 6, 2019)
New Feature: Tags
In this update, we've added something that has been requested off and on for some time now: Donor Tags. Tags are another way of categorizing and grouping your donors in ways that the normal Donor Type, Donor Source, Donor Contact Type, etc. fields cannot.
Tags can be viewed, created, and permanently deleted via the Options page as shown below:
However, for ease of use and to help you get the most benefit, tags can also be created directly on the Edit Donor screen:
Once created, it takes just one click to add or remove a tag from a donor's profile. The tags will appear above the map on the Donor View page:
Tags are most beneficial when used in conjunction with reports. Utilizing the new Bulk Add feature, you can add an existing tag or create a new tag for all donors shown on a particular report:
For example, let's say your organization started in 2015 and you want to tag everyone who gave that first year so that you quickly identify these early donors when glancing at their profile. You could run the Donation History report, set the date range to be from January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2015, and then do a Bulk Add / Tag. Create the new tag like so:
After being created, you can use tags as filters in your reports. 3 new tag-related filters have been added: Tags Include Any Of, Tags Include All Of, and Tags Include None Of.
Tags Include Any Of functions similarly to the existing multi-select dropdowns: if any of the tags you've chosen appears on the donor's profile, they'll appear in the report. Tags Include All Of will only display donors if each of the tags you've clicked is on the donor's profile. Tags Include None Of will only display donors who don't have any of the tags you've selected.
It is our hope that this feature proves useful to many of you, and that you'll provide us with feedback on how it may continue to be improved as time goes on. Please feel free to contact us through the Support page to send us your thoughts!
Improvements and Changes:
- You can now see the last time a user logged into the system on the Users page. (Starting from the date of this update. Login times prior to this update will not be shown.)
- Unsent emails (if any) will now appear on a donor's profile above those previously sent. This will help you more easily identify when an email is rejected because of user preference, or because of an invalid email address.
- When composing a new email, it will no longer default to "Other Email Address".
- If the Physical Location field contains line breaks, these will now be successfully output rather than being sent out as a big run-on lump of text.
- A few new font sizes have been added.
- Some labels and other sections that were perhaps not clear have been improved, and contextual help has been added.
- The Member Level field now features the same type-ahead functionality as is currently on the Add/Edit donors page.
- Field validation has been added to prevent you from being able to leave anything blank that is required.
- You may now "close" out of date or unwanted Donation Forms and redirect users to a new, current form.
- You may now add a Company Name field to Donation Forms.
- Quotation marks being added to dropdown items was causing issues with reports functioning properly, and resulting in problems elsewhere. Thus, quotation marks (' and ") are now forbidden in list item dropdowns.
- The hover-over descriptions for dropdown items were not always loading in the right order. They will now load and display as they should.
- The Download CSV for Mailing labels wasn't being disabled if there were no letters to generate. This has been fixed.
- When using test mode on Donation Forms, Reminder emails won't be sent if recurring gifts are disabled.
(Publish Date: March 1, 2019)
This update is merely a small patch to address a few bugs and to provide a few features to organizations that needed it prior to a larger update coming soon.
Improvements and Changes:
- New filters are available for "Donor Has Phone?" and "Donor Has Email?". This will let you export a list for, say, an email campaign of only those donors who have email addresses.
- New filters are also available for "Timeframe Donation Totals Greater Than" and "Timeframe Donation Totals Less Than".
- Donation Forms:
- A more detailed and accurate informational message is now displayed when you go to test a donation form.
- Emails that were sent out by the system (IE from donation forms or volunteer forms) were not being tagged as system emails. They now will be.
- If emails had duplicate addresses in the To or CC fields, the email would fail to send. This is now resolved. Additional error catching and logging is in place to help identify additional reasons for failure.
- If you saved an email as a draft, the reply-to, from name, and from address fields would return to default values when you returned to finish editing it.
- If you had an email with a link to a "local" page, IE demo.donorwrangler.com/volunteerlog.php, the full link was being stripped out leaving only the volunteerlog.php which wouldn't take the user anywhere useful. This behavior has been stopped.
(Publish Date: February 15, 2019)
Donations: You can now reassign a donation to a different profile. This is most useful when donations processed through donation forms are associated with an incorrect profile, but there are other scenarios where you may enter the donation on the wrong profile and want to move it without re-entering it. This option can be found when viewing a list of donations on the donor's profile:
Payments: In a similar vein, there are times when it is beneficial to reassign a particular payment to another donation. This is most frequent when a donor pays a pledge payment online. In that instance, a new donation is created containing the online payment details. In this case, you can reassign the payment to the correct pledge. This option is found on the donation view:
You can only reassign a payment to a donation from the same donor. If you need to assign it to a different donor, move the donation to the correct donor profile first, then reassign the payment to the correct donation for that donor. Be aware that if this is the only payment associated with that donation, the donation will be deleted once the payment is reassigned.
Letters: You now have the option to generate a CSV file of all donor name and address data for the letters shown. This will help if you need to generate mailing labels for a large batch of thank you letters:
Improvements and Changes:
- A new, optional field has been added for Donor Recognition Name. This can be used to either pre-format every donor's name for your annual donor lists to make annual giving reports easier, or to set one-off overrides on particular donors.
- Not every organization will need this. Some, for instance, already format the Display Name in the way their donor list would be formatted. But to give the ability to store this data separately for either individual donor overrides or for the entire database, this new field has been added and is available on all reports.
- It is turned off by default; turn it on by using the Customize View button on the view/edit donor pages. It will appear right beneath the Full Name boxes.
- All emails sent by the system (donation form receipts, reminders, and volunteer sign up notifications) have been updated to use the new emailing system. If you haven't yet updated your email settings, emails will be queued up but fail to send until you update these settings.
- You now have additional options for task recurrence: Every 18 Months and Every 2 Years. These are most useful for grant application cycles.
- Donation forms have been upgraded to use the latest version of Stripe's front-end elements.
- A link to view the release notes has been added to the support page for those who don't have permission to view the Options page.
- If an item, such as a donor or donation, has been deleted but you follow an old link to that page, there will now be a notice that the data was deleted rather than an actual error popup.
- Per the initial update when data change logging was first introduced, we've had time to analyze the impact on database size of logging changes. Thus, the decision has been made that log data will be deleted after 6 months. This means the first log entries will begin to disappear after May 5th, 2019 since the change log was created on November 5th, 2018.
- An explanation of our backup and data storage procedures, including the limits to change logging.
- An explanation of our use of Google Analytics.
- Security procedures when it comes to requests from users to make modifications to the account. (IE the request must come from the director account, and what you can do if the director account holder is no longer with the organization.)
- An explanation of Beta features and what to expect when using them.
- An explanation of Custom features and how to request them.
- An explanation of Donation Forms and our usage of Stripe.
- An explanation of the new Email features, along with the requirements and the potential for you to be blocked from using these functions if you are found to be abusing them.
- A permissions issue that prevented users who could manage volunteer data from viewing the volunteer reports has been fixed. (February 1, 2019)
(Publish Date: February 1, 2019)
Email sending from within Donor Wrangler has been completely rewritten! This is in preparation of a future update that will allow you to send marketing emails and newsletters from within the system, replacing the need to use Constant Contact or some other third party. Because this is such a major change, we are breaking it into phases. This first phase lays the groundwork for the next update which will add much of the remaining functionality. Please note that the ability to send marketing emails/newsletters will be a paid add-on to Donor Wrangler, our first such feature. Pricing will be published in the near future.
New Email Section: A new section in the left hand menu has been added. Anyone who can view letters can access this new section. Within, you will find a searchable list of all emails sent by Donor Wrangler, as well as a new section for unsent emails, templates, and email settings.
When you go to send a letter as an electronic receipt, you will be taken to a new editor where you can customize the email sent to the donor. Once you queue the email for delivery, it will appear on the Unsent Emails tab. There you will have a chance to cancel the sending and make adjustments if needed, and you'll see any failed messages.
Beginning with this update, we will require you to provide new information on the Email Settings tab before emails can be sent.
These messages will appear both at the bottom of an email, like so:
When a user clicks the unsubscribe or manage communication preferences page, they will be presented with this:
This change will allow the donor to manage their preferences themselves and brings the emails more into line with laws like the CAN SPAM act. While relationship emails are normally not bound by all of the same laws that marketing emails/newsletters are, even things like thank you letters or receipts can be worded in such a way that it may blur the lines and could arguably be construed as a marketing email. Thus, we want to ensure that you are meeting all of the requirements of the law with emails sent out through the system. For more information, click the question mark icons next to the fields on the Email Settings tab.
For the time being, emails like Volunteer Reminders, Donation Form Receipts, and Donation Form Reminders are still being sent the old way. This is to give you time to update your email settings. Beginning in the next update, they will be unified to run through the same system as PDF thank you letters.
The next update to the system will allow you to take further control of things like editing the default layout for the email (IE changing the color of the gray background and/or text as shown in the email screenshot above). We will also be looking for 2 or 3 organizations to test pilot the marketing email abilities, such as creating different email lists from reports and sending templated emails to everyone on a given list.
Within a few months after the public launch of the marketing email side of things, we will be phasing out support for integration with Constant Contact. Existing users of Constant Contact will be notified once a cut off date is set.
- If you change an email address on a donor's profile or enter a new one, any volunteer slots and previously sent emails associated with the entered address are remapped and incorporated into that donor's profile automatically.
- You can now customize the formatting of the generated "Addressee Formal" field for couples with the same last name. Access this by clicking the gear icon in the upper left of the Donor Edit page. (If you have suggestions for other formats, please contact support.)
- Donation Forms:
- If a donor enters their name as ALL CAPS or all lowercase, the system will modify it so the first letter is capitalized only.
- If a donation fails, the failure notification will now be sent to any users who are in the CC field for successful transactions.
- If a report throws an error, rather than getting an unhelpful alert message that is only useful for a programmer, you'll now get a message with actual suggestions on how to resolve the problem.
- A column for "Donor YTD Giving" has been added.
- There is no longer a limit on the generate all and toggle sent status on all functions on the letters page. You can now generate all unsent letters without picking a particular letter template.
- List Editor:
- The help topics from donor/donation edit will also now appear on the list editor so you can read the same suggestions for what should be added to those lists from there.
The following bugs were fixed in this version. Those with a date behind them indicate that they were pushed out prior to the release of the completed version.
- Email events (IE delivery, open, etc.) were not being logged if the donors email was stored in the database as ALL CAPS or with the initial letter capitalized. (January 14, 2019)
- The system attempted (unsuccessfully, but still attempted) to create volunteer reminder emails when they were not necessary. (January 14, 2019)
- Changing the campaign for a gift did not successfully update the campaign for the corresponding payments. (January 14, 2019)
- Images were not successfully uploading to the image manager. (January 15, 2019)
- The Timeframe Donation Totals column should be required on the "Donor List by Timeframe Donation Totals" report. Failing to include it threw an error. This has been resolved.
- If the donor provided a different title on a donation form than what their profile said (IE they enter Ms. but their profile said Mrs.) the title wasn't being captured and saved as it should have been. (First and last names were already being captured correctly.)
- The "Expected Payments" chart on the donations page was calculating incorrectly. This has been fixed.
- Donor Membership dates couldn't be removed (blanked out) once set.
(Publish Date: January 11, 2019)
Reports have been totally rewritten with this new version, retaining the same ease-of-use that you're used to, but adding tons of improvements and new features. Read on to find out more!
Report Filter Choices: You can now add or remove filters from reports, in much the same way you can add or remove columns from a report. (Note: This is only available when building new reports. Saved reports have their filters set, and cannot be changed after saving.) With this new functionality comes a wave of new filter choices, including the ability to filter by donor statistics, such as average giving or total giving amount, as well as virtually every column that would make sense to be able to filter data by.
Report Bulk Actions: This exciting new feature allows you to perform an action across all donors, donations, or payments shown in a given report. (NOTE: Only Director accounts have been given access to this feature as part of the upgrade, but the Director may delegate this permission to additional users as they wish by editing the user accounts they wish to grant this permission to.) If you have permission to use this feature, you'll see the buttons above the report next to the CSV, XLS and PDF buttons:
The first three bulk actions we've created are to add Interactions, Tasks, or Letters for every donor shown in the report. For an example, let's say we're going to send a receipt to everyone who gave in 2018. To do this, we'd run the "Donor List by Timeframe Donation Totals" report filtered to only show donors who gave last year. A window pops up that allows us to choose which template and page layout we wish to use:
Upon clicking add, we're asked to wait while the system performs the update:
Once that's done, we'll have a new letter created for all of the donors shown in that report! We hope this will be a great time saving tool for you.
Of course, with everything else in life, you may make a mistake. Happily, the system will allow you to fix this! Anyone who has access to both bulk actions and has the ability to view the Change Log will see a new menu option where they can see all bulk actions that were done and undo them if needed:
This is just the start of what we expect to be a very useful feature for many of you. New bulk actions will be added in future versions.
- The add/remove columns box now allows you to sort columns by category, letting you find things easier. Columns are now listed in alphabetical order, and you can even search for a column by name.
- To reorder columns, you now simply drag and drop the columns by their name in the header of the report to where you want them. When new columns are added to the report, they are appended to the end.
- When viewing a large amount of data and scrolling, the header will now follow you down the page so you can see the column names at all times.
- Text based filters, such as zip code, will now allow you to enter multiple values, separated by a comma.
- New permissions have been added for reports, (1) exporting data and (2) running bulk actions. Those who already have access to view reports have been granted access to export data. Only Director accounts have been given access to run Bulk Actions. Director accounts may delegate this ability to additional users as needed.
The following bugs were fixed in this version. Those with a date behind them indicate that they were pushed out prior to the release of the completed version.
- Pagination on reports using the next/previous buttons was not functioning properly in certain cases.
- The email log wasn't setting the date/time according to the user setting in Options.
- Emails sent out when creating new tasks were displaying a warning message, even though they successfully went through. This warning was informational only for developers to know about a change in the language spec, and has been turned off. (January 7, 2019)
(Publish Date: January 1, 2019)
Version 26 is a maintenance version, with changes made solely to the internal code of Donor Wrangler as we migrated to new servers. The following two non-internal code items were addressed by this version:
- You can now set a system time zone under the Options / System Settings page. This will ensure that fields autofill with the correct date based on your organization's location.
- Emails sent from donation forms sometimes had added characters appear in the text that shouldn't have been there. (Fixed 12/24/2018)
(Publish Date: December 18, 2018)
Change Logging is here! Since Version 24, all changes have been captured and logged. You can now see who changed what and when:
The ability to view this new change log has been turned on for all users. However, only the Director account will have access to the Undo button by default. The Director account may grant the undo button permission to other users on the Edit User page for each account that needs access to it. Further, the Director account may turn off the ability to view the Change Log for individual accounts.
This feature is currently available for Donors, Donations, and Payments. It may be expanded to other areas later. At this time, the duration for change log data retention hasn't been decided. We will monitor its usage and impact on database size. We will notify you in a future update once a decision is made about how long the data will be retained.
This feature does have some limitations. While you can view changes that are done by the "System User", you cannot undo them. For example, when a recurring donation is processed, values for the payment actual date, amount, fee, reference number, etc. are entered by the System User. When a donor edits a recurring gift via the link in their payment receipt, this change is also viewed as a system change. Calculated fields (such as the total pledge amount) also cannot be undone, as they are set based on the actual current values in the database.
With this new feature in place, it will enable us to soon create other long-requested features, such as creating large amounts of interactions or letters based off of reports. The main hinderance to this in the past was the inability to be able to undo the action if you made a mistake. With this core functionality ready, we will be able to begin building these additional functions.
In the meantime, we hope this basic level of change logging will be useful to you, and allow more transparency for your organization's users.
- The donor name is now displayed in the task overview list, if applicable.
- For columns that represent a currency value, a table of totals for each can now be found at the bottom of the report. This will let you get the totals without needing to export to Excel and manipulate the data further.
- Note that only totals relevant to that report will be provided to provide accurate totals.
- For example, if you run a Payments Received report, only the Payment related fields (actual amount, expected amount, fee) will be totaled. Fields related to donor total giving, timeframe donation giving, donation amount, etc. are excluded.
- This is because there will otherwise be duplicated fields that are added together multiple times. For example, if you run a Payments Received report and a donor has made 4 payments of $250 towards a Pledge of $1,000, your actual payment received amount total will be $1,000. However, if the report contains the "Pledge Amount" field, it will report a total of $4,000 because it appears 4 times in the same report, once for each of the associated payments.
- Note that only totals relevant to that report will be provided to provide accurate totals.
- The export to Excel and CSV functionality has been tidied up some, with things like extra spaces at the beginning of names being removed automatically (so ABC sorting works as predicted) and bits of HTML code being stripped out since it would not be used in these files.
- If a user has access to reports but cannot, for instance, view/edit interactions or donations, they will no longer be able to see the associated reports.
Letters / Letter Images:
- Additional layouts have been added so that you can more easily insert images and control their size in relation to the text within letters, donation pages, volunteer signups, etc.
- For the donation forms and volunteer events (and their associated emails), when images have been deleted, you will be shown a notice in the administrative side of things. However, when shown to the public, they will silently be replaced with a tiny, blank image.
- When images are edited (IE rotated) the system will update the link to point to the new edited image wherever it is used in templates, donation pages, volunteer events, etc. (Note that this would not apply to instances where, for example, an email has already been sent pointing to an image before you edited it.)
- You can now use either your username or your email address to login.
- In some cases, email log events (such as delivery, open, etc.) weren't being captured successfully. This is now resolved.
- When a letter was emailed to a donor, it was not properly marking the associated payment as acknowledged. This is now fixed.
- Certain addresses were causing the map on the donor's profile to fail to load. Some extra catches have been added to format those addresses properly.
- Donor Display Names weren't always being labeled as anonymous at the right times in reports. If you run a donor or interaction report, they will be labeled anonymous only if the donor profile as a whole is marked as anonymous. Otherwise, if you run a payment or donation report, they will be labeled anonymous if that particular donation was made anonymously.
- When an expected payment was deleted, the outstanding pledge amount was not being updated properly, but now it is.
- Donations from Donation Spring are now being logged properly.
- Letter settings will no longer allow you to upload non-images (like PDFs) into the signature, header image, footer image, etc. fields.
- Fees for donations processed thru Donor Wrangler's forms are now being accurately recorded. (Depending on the transaction fee rate you were getting from Stripe [IE non-profit vs standard], you may have had an incorrect value logged.)
Version 24 and Below:
For information about updates prior to Version 24, please visit this article.